Exercise 2A. 17a

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

SamanyaCMuyunga1K

Exercise 2A. 17a

Postby SamanyaCMuyunga1K » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:06 am

Predict the number of valence electrons present for each of the following ions: Mn^4+.

I know that the answer is 3, but how is this the answer?
When I tried to find the answer, I first found the electron configuration for Mn, . Then I removed 2 electrons from the 4s orbital and 2 electrons from the 3d orbital, which means the electron configuration is . So then to complete the d orbital, wouldn't it need 7 more electrons?

Madilyn Schindler 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Exercise 2A. 17a

Postby Madilyn Schindler 3E » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:19 am

The valence electrons are just the number of electrons that are in the outmost shell. Since 3d is the only orbital in the outmost shell, 3, and there are 3 electrons in it, the number of valence electrons is 3. Hope that helps!

Brendan Duong 1I

Re: Exercise 2A. 17a

Postby Brendan Duong 1I » Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:51 pm

SamanyaCMuyunga1K wrote:Predict the number of valence electrons present for each of the following ions: Mn^4+.

I know that the answer is 3, but how is this the answer?
When I tried to find the answer, I first found the electron configuration for Mn, . Then I removed 2 electrons from the 4s orbital and 2 electrons from the 3d orbital, which means the electron configuration is . So then to complete the d orbital, wouldn't it need 7 more electrons?

Valence electrons aren't the amount of electrons needed to complete the orbital, its the amount of electrons on the outermost shell. You said it yourself, the electron config will be [Ar]3d^3, so there would be just the 3 valence electrons present

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”