About electron configurations positive ions of elements in the 4p period (Based on Cu and Cr)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Simrah_Ahmed1J

About electron configurations positive ions of elements in the 4p period (Based on Cu and Cr)

Postby Simrah_Ahmed1J » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:00 am

So I know the exceptions of Cr and Cu in terms of filling order and how they "borrow" from the 4s electrons, but I'm wondering about when it comes to the positive ions of elements in 4p, such as Ga+, Ge2+, or even more positively charged versions of those atoms.
When writing their electron configuration, would you first remove atoms from the 4s orbital first before taking from the 3d?

Natalie 3k

Re: About electron configurations positive ions of elements in the 4p period (Based on Cu and Cr)

Postby Natalie 3k » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:41 am

I believe after removing all the p orbital electrons you remove the s orbital electrons next and then the d orbital but I'm not fully sure, hopefully someone else can confirm.

Jessie Hsu 1C

Re: About electron configurations positive ions of elements in the 4p period (Based on Cu and Cr)

Postby Jessie Hsu 1C » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:52 am

I also believe that after removing the 4p electrons, the next would be the 4s electrons because they are in the outermost shell. Then, electrons would be removed from the 3d subshell.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”