Electrostatic Potential Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kayley Steele 3D

Electrostatic Potential Energy

Postby Kayley Steele 3D » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:52 pm

I know the formula for Electrostatic Potential Energy is K(q1)(q2)/r . I am a little confused on what this tells us about the two electrons though and what the potential energy would be used to determine. Could someone explain?

AlexandriaHunt2J

Re: Electrostatic Potential Energy

Postby AlexandriaHunt2J » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:58 pm

Hey! I believe that the equation Professor Lavelle provided in class, (q1)(q2)/r is proportional to electrostatic potential energy, but does not equal it specifically (there's a constant missing). He mentioned it for conceptual reasons (not for us to actually use in calculations), and to show that when the charges are opposite, the electrostatic potential energy is negative and there's attraction, and when charges are the same, the electrostatic potential energy is positive and there's repulsion. Furthermore, the equation serves to show that when the distance between two atoms increases, the attraction/repulsion decreases, and when the distance decreases the attraction/repulsion increases.

cecilia1F

Re: Electrostatic Potential Energy

Postby cecilia1F » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:20 am

I think for us this equation is just a helpful reminder about the interactions between particles this equation applies to any combination of charged particles, while it is most helpful in our case for thinking about electrons. I think that the equation will not be used in this class to solve the actually potential energy between particles, but it is helpful to know.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”