Textbook 1E.1  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Textbook 1E.1

Postby 205743684 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:54 am

Hi! A question from the assigned textbook problems asks: Which of the following increase when an electron in a lithium atom undergoes a transition from the 1s-orbital to a 2p-orbital? (a) Energy of the electron. (b) Value of n. (c) Value of l. (d) Radius of the atom. Which answers would be different for a hydrogen atom and in what way would they be different?

I know for a hydrogen atom, all would increase, and I initially thought it would be the same for other atoms whether they are multi electron or not. Now I am not so sure about that but I do not know in what way it would be different (eg which values would change and why)?

Could someone please explain this? (:

Thank you,
Nicolena

Mikayla 2G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Textbook 1E.1  [ENDORSED]

Postby Mikayla 2G » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:55 pm

For all atoms, the energy of the electron and the n value would increase because the electron is moving up energy levels.
The value of l may or may not increase depending on if the electron is moving into the same orbital (spd) at a different energy level
the radius of the atom may or may not increase depending on if the electron is moving from one of the inner shells to the outer shell. The radius would only increase if the electron was moving to a shell outside of the shells already occupied by the electrons of the atom.

Hope this helps

Ashwin Vasudevan 3A

Re: Textbook 1E.1

Postby Ashwin Vasudevan 3A » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:40 am

Hello,
It would be the same because the electron continues to move up energy levels. So everything would increase.

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”