Coulomb Potential Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Megan Bundy 2K

Coulomb Potential Energy

Postby Megan Bundy 2K » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:00 pm

Dr. Lavelle mentioned the electrostatic potential energy being proportional to q1q2 / r — is this something we need to know/be able to use?

Alex Dayrit 3B

Re: Coulomb Potential Energy

Postby Alex Dayrit 3B » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:34 pm

I do not think you need to use that, but I am not sure. On the Chem 14A website, there is a document that has the equations and constants that we may use.

"Constants and Equations" Document

Rohita Thammineni 2D

Postby Rohita Thammineni 2D » Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:54 pm

I don't think you need to memorize the formula itself but rather understand the concept behind it. Basically, the electrostatic potential energy decreases as the radius (distance between the two charges) increases and is also affected by the magnitude of the charges. Thus, there would be greater Coulombic attraction between the protons of the oxygen atom and its electrons vs. the protons of a carbon atom and its electrons since both atoms have electrons in the same energy levels (n=1,2) but oxygen has a greater positive charge.

Jelix Tsan 2H

Postby Jelix Tsan 2H » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:01 pm

Alex Dayrit 3B wrote:I do not think you need to use that, but I am not sure. On the Chem 14A website, there is a document that has the equations and constants that we may use.

"Constants and Equations" Document

Coulomb's equation is not listed on the equations sheet, but I think that indicates that it's an equation that we most likely won't need to apply on the test(?)

Molly McAndrew 1 1H

Postby Molly McAndrew 1 1H » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:34 pm

So, what exactly do (q1) and (q2) represent--the energy of two comparative electrons? I still don't entirely understand what this equation represents.

Grace Chang 1E
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Grace Chang 1E » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:19 am

Molly McAndrew 2 2D wrote:So, what exactly do (q1) and (q2) represent--the energy of two comparative electrons? I still don't entirely understand what this equation represents.

Hi Molly!

Q1 and Q2 represent the charges; they don't only have to be electrons. For example, a carbon nucleus would have a charge of +6 because there are 6 protons.

I hope that helps!

Molly McAndrew 1 1H

Postby Molly McAndrew 1 1H » Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:44 pm

Grace Chang 2E wrote:
Molly McAndrew 2 2D wrote:So, what exactly do (q1) and (q2) represent--the energy of two comparative electrons? I still don't entirely understand what this equation represents.

Hi Molly!

Q1 and Q2 represent the charges; they don't only have to be electrons. For example, a carbon nucleus would have a charge of +6 because there are 6 protons.

I hope that helps!

Thank you so, so much!

Return to “Electron Configurations for Multi-Electron Atoms”