atomic size

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Josh Moy 1H

atomic size

Postby Josh Moy 1H » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:48 pm

for atomic radius, if an element is lower on the periodic table but closer to the right side, would it be bigger or smaller than an element higher on the periodic table thats on the left side

Alex Leve 3F

Re: atomic size

Postby Alex Leve 3F » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:30 pm

Generally, the element higher on the periodic table on the left side would have a smaller radius than an element is lower on the periodic table on the right side. This is because moving up and down on the periodic table involves a change in n-levels, which is a more drastic change in energy than just moving from left to right would be.

Shawn Patel 1I

Postby Shawn Patel 1I » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:09 pm

Hey,
An atom thats in lower right group would still be smaller than a lot of the atoms on the left that are higher up. This is easily comparable through a chart that shows you the relative size of each atom in the periodic table.
For example, Radon is still slightly smaller than Sodium.

snehabhargava

Postby snehabhargava » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:40 pm

yes I agree, elements on the top left are smaller than elements on the bottom right side of the periodic table.

Chloe Blume 1F

Postby Chloe Blume 1F » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:19 pm

The atomic radius of an element in the upper left would be smaller than the atomic radius of an element in the bottom right because its energy level would be very low and thus the electrons would be held very closely to the nucleus compared to the element that has high energy levels.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”