Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Rachel Brown 3A

Postby Rachel Brown 3A » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:15 pm

Can someone help me with 2.55? It is asking for the valence-shell configuration of a) alkali metals, b) group 15, c) group 5 transition metals, and d) Cu, Ag, Au. I have the solutions manual so I saw the answers but I couldn't figure out how they got them.

Sarah_Stay_1D
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: 2.55

Postby Sarah_Stay_1D » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:49 pm

Rachel Brown 3A wrote:Can someone help me with 2.55? It is asking for the valence-shell configuration of a) alkali metals, b) group 15, c) group 5 transition metals, and d) Cu, Ag, Au. I have the solutions manual so I saw the answers but I couldn't figure out how they got them.

The type of orbital (s, p, d, f etc.) that an element's valence electrons are in, is the same for a group of elements. However, what does change for each element in a group is the principal quantum number (n) (e.g. 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s etc.). For example, looking at group 15, all the elements in that group with have valence electrons in the s an the p orbitals. All elements in group 15 will have two valence electrons in the s orbitals (ns^2) and will have three valence electrons in the p orbital (np^3). Therefore, n is what will change between elements of the group. For instance in group 15 nitrogen's valence electrons are in 2s^2 2p^3 (meaning n for nitrogen equals 2). However, for phosphorus the valence electrons will be in 3s^2 3p^3 (meaning n phosphorous equals 2).

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”