Electron affinity  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Naana Boateng 1I

Electron affinity

Postby Naana Boateng 1I » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:01 pm

How does electron affinity affect the elements/ electrons of an element ?

Gianna Apoderado 1B

Re: Electron affinity

Postby Gianna Apoderado 1B » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:37 pm

Electron affinity, the change in energy when an electron is added to a neutral atom to form a negative ion, affects elements/electrons in the sense that the higher the electron affinity, the greater the attraction for a electron/the easier it is for that element to gain electrons.

Vivian Nguyen
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Vivian Nguyen » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:38 pm

Hello,
Electron affinity is the energy change that occurs when an additional electron attaches to an atom. It's describing how likely an atom will accept an electron. The more positive the electron affinity, the more likely the atom will accept the electron because it will release energy, and not take energy.
In terms of affecting the elements, the trend of electron affinity is usually the highest at the right of the periodic table (excluding the noble gases).

Michelle Dong 1F

Postby Michelle Dong 1F » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:08 am

Is electron affinity similar to electronegativity in the sense that both describes how likely it is for an atom to accept an electron?

Sophia Kim 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Electron affinity  [ENDORSED]

Postby Sophia Kim 1C » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:28 pm

Electron Affinity is different from electronegativity in that Electro Affinity is the amount of energy released when a neutral atom attracts an electron to form a negative ion while electronegativity is the atoms ability to attract electrons to it. I hope that makes sense. They are similar in that they both have to do with an atom attracting an electron but they are measuring different things.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”