lecture question 5/2

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

tatianatumbling_1J

lecture question 5/2

Postby tatianatumbling_1J » Wed May 02, 2018 2:11 pm

can someone explain the concept the professor went over. he talked about why radii get smaller and I know it has to do with attraction to the nucleus. I think it was called shell contraction? (Sorry this is so vague)

Anna De Schutter - 1A

Re: lecture question 5/2

Postby Anna De Schutter - 1A » Wed May 02, 2018 4:25 pm

Hi!

I'm not too sure if it was called shell attraction, but how I understood it is that across a period, the atomic radius decreases. This is because across a period, we still remain in the same shell (n=1 for example, or n=2, etc.), yet the number of protons increases. Thus, the electrons are more attracted to the nucleus when we go across a period (because of more protons) and as a result, the atomic radius decreases.

Down a group, however, the atomic radius will increase because the number of shells increases.

I hope this helps! :)
Anna De Schutter - section 1A

tatianatumbling_1J

Postby tatianatumbling_1J » Wed May 02, 2018 8:51 pm

Anna De Schutter - 1A wrote:Hi!

I'm not too sure if it was called shell attraction, but how I understood it is that across a period, the atomic radius decreases. This is because across a period, we still remain in the same shell (n=1 for example, or n=2, etc.), yet the number of protons increases. Thus, the electrons are more attracted to the nucleus when we go across a period (because of more protons) and as a result, the atomic radius decreases.

Down a group, however, the atomic radius will increase because the number of shells increases.

I hope this helps! :)
Anna De Schutter - section 1A

thank you!

Garrett Dahn 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Garrett Dahn 1I » Thu May 03, 2018 4:14 pm

I'd like to reference the final part of your question about contraction. Professor Lavelle called this electron contraction because the electrons are literally being contracted by the increasing positive charge of the nucleus, since as you move to the right on the periodic table, the number of protons (positively charged) increases and the nucleus pulls harder on the electrons. So as you move to the right on the periodic table, electron contraction decreases the atomic radii, so the smallest atoms (in terms of radius) are those with the fewest shells and the most protons (i.e. those elements which inhabit the upper-right hand corner of the Periodic Table).

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”