Electron affinity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Matia Kim 1B

Electron affinity

Postby Matia Kim 1B » Thu May 03, 2018 5:42 pm

The textbook says that electron affinity increases towards the right of the periodic table. Why is that? Also is there a pattern or affinity going down the groups of the periodic table?

MadelynNguyen1F

Re: Electron affinity

Postby MadelynNguyen1F » Thu May 03, 2018 5:56 pm

Electron affinity going from left to right of the periodic table increases because the amount of protons an element has also increases. There is an attractive charge between the positively charged protons in the nucleus and the negatively charged electrons. So, the outer electrons are more attracted to the protons in the nucleus as the number of protons increases.

MadelynNguyen1F

Postby MadelynNguyen1F » Thu May 03, 2018 6:01 pm

I believe that atoms with a full octet are an exception though.

Sarah Brecher 1I

Postby Sarah Brecher 1I » Fri May 04, 2018 12:26 am

I believe that a full octet is the exception because once the shell is filled, the atom is stable and therefore there is no need for an electron to be added to the shell.

For example, if you were asked which has a higher electron affinity between elements Ne and Cl, Cl would have the higher electron affinity since it wants to complete its shell whereas Neon's shell is already filled.

Ashley Martinez 1G

Postby Ashley Martinez 1G » Sun May 06, 2018 11:22 pm

In general, electron affinities become less negative from top to bottom of a group (there's a few exceptions due to the difficulty of accurately measuring electron affinity).

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”