Practice midterm 6d

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Fiona Grant 1I

Practice midterm 6d

Postby Fiona Grant 1I » Sat May 05, 2018 3:06 pm

The question asks us to rank C,N,O, and F in order of increasing ionization energies. I know that the solution is C < O < N < F, however I expected the answer to be C < N < O < F because the ionization energy increases across a period. We talked about how this is an exception during the review session, but I am still confused about the reason why O and N are flipped.

Natalie Noble 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Practice midterm 6d

Postby Natalie Noble 1G » Sat May 05, 2018 3:07 pm

C < O < N < F

The reason the N and O breaks the ionization trend is because N is more stable dues to half shell stability. N has one electron in all three orbitals, which gives it slightly more stability making the ionization energy higher as it is more difficult to remove an electron. (while O has 4 electrons and does not have the same stability granted by a half shell)

Bianca Nguyen 1B

Re: Practice midterm 6d

Postby Bianca Nguyen 1B » Sat May 05, 2018 3:12 pm

O and N are flipped because of half-shell stability. N does not want to lose an electron because all of its p orbitals are filled with an electron and they are parallel to each other. It is easier to remove an electron from O because it will have half-shell stability when you remove an electron. I’m not great at explaining this, but hopefully it makes sense

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”