Electron Affinity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Eli Esagoff_1I

Electron Affinity

Postby Eli Esagoff_1I » Sun May 06, 2018 4:16 pm

I am having trouble understanding how energy is released or spent when you add an electron to an element. Can someone please explain this to me? I understand the trend of electron affinity and how it increases towards the right (where the elements want to become stable).

MariahClark 2F

Re: Electron Affinity

Postby MariahClark 2F » Sun May 06, 2018 8:01 pm

An easy way to think about electron affinity is the amount of energy required to [censored] an electron from a specific atom. This can also be thought of as how strong an atom's pull on its electrons are. If an atom has a high electron affinity, it would not be easy to pull off one of its electrons.

Vienna Cimetta 1L

Postby Vienna Cimetta 1L » Sun May 06, 2018 10:46 pm

So if an element has a high electron affinity, would the energy released when an electron is added also be high? The higher the electron affinity, the larger amount of energy released when an electron is added?

Toru Fiberesima 1L

Postby Toru Fiberesima 1L » Sun May 06, 2018 10:59 pm

electron affinity is the energy released when an atom acquires an electron (ie these would be negative values). So yes, a high electron affinity would mean the energy released when an electron is added would technically be very low.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”