Second Ionization

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Natalie Noble 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Second Ionization

Postby Natalie Noble 1G » Sun May 13, 2018 1:38 pm

I know in class we discussed how the removing the 2nd electron (second ionization energy) is harder than the first, but I didn't quite catch the explanation as to why. I think I remember it having to do with the pull of the nucleus but I just don't quite remember.

Fiona Grant 1I

Re: Second Ionization

Postby Fiona Grant 1I » Sun May 13, 2018 1:39 pm

The 2nd ionization energy is higher because it is more difficult to remove the second electron from the atom. When you remove the first electron, the atom becomes more positively charged, so the remaining electrons are pulled into the nucleus more strongly. As a result, more energy is required to remove a second electron (higher ionization energy). This pattern therefore continues, with ionization energy increasing with each additional removed electron.

Andrew Evans - 1G
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Andrew Evans - 1G » Sun May 13, 2018 2:36 pm

Imagine a bear. Most bears have one two to cubs, right. We'll say mommy has 2.
Mamma bear is living a free and happy life in Alaska, cruising the wilderness, no man to tie her down, just her and her happy baby furballs.
Mamma bear has no threats.
So she lets her cubs go play around in the field, munching flowers, chasing squirrels and such.
But then when one ballsy mf-ing hunter decides it would be fun having a cute lil baby bear dead, stuffed, and chilling in the corner of his living room, he goes up and snags one of the cubbies while they're playing out in the meadow.
Now mamma is rattled, shocked, and tense. She just lost one of her babies. What else can she do but hold on to the only cub she has left. Mamma's not gonna let it go out in the meadow, the squirrels can go chase themselves for Pete's sake.
Now that mamma bear is guarding her cub more tightly, the hunter dude is gonna have to invest a log more energy and the possibility of several lost body parts to take away the second cub.

Listen to “The Trapper and the Furrier” by Regina spektor: https://open.spotify.com/track/7KveNlgd5LGP68sQ85SDYD?si=JlEpOzFgTUqW2Oxirucw2A

A similar case is just like America and kidnappings. If you look back at the 70s, parents allowed their kids to wander the streets wherever, no supervision, just be back when the streetlights turn on. However, the 70s is of course when a bunch of murders and kidnappings came to the top of the news, striking fear into the American mother. Now do you think Judy is gonna let lil Nancy and Henry play out in the streets anymore without some adult to watch them? Sure as [censored] not! So now those pedophiles and murderers are gonna have to spend all the energy to sneak into houses and driving hours in white vans waiting for at least one kid to be walking home alone (because obvs now all the parents are picking up the children themselves or sending ubers or something).

Anyway, there you go! ;)
-Andrew Evans
Section 1G
Last edited by Andrew Evans - 1G on Sun May 13, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brynne Keyser 1B

Postby Brynne Keyser 1B » Sun May 13, 2018 2:54 pm

It is more difficult to remove a second electron, as once you remove a first electron the atom becomes positively charged. The electrons are then pulled closer in to the nucleus, making the second electron harder to remove.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”