Sizes of ions and neutral atoms

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Te Jung Yang 4K

Sizes of ions and neutral atoms

Postby Te Jung Yang 4K » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:26 pm

Can someone please explain to me why anions are larger than their neutral atoms? Thank you!

Kyle Golden Dis 2G

Re: Sizes of ions and neutral atoms

Postby Kyle Golden Dis 2G » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:28 pm

Since anions gain electrons while maintaining the same number of protons, the electron cloud enlarges and there is more electron-electron repulsion.

Alexa_Henrie_1I

Postby Alexa_Henrie_1I » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:39 pm

It also helps to consider why cations are smaller than their neutral atoms. Cations are smaller because they lose an electron, which decreases the size of the electron cloud.

Mhun-Jeong Isaac Lee 1B

Postby Mhun-Jeong Isaac Lee 1B » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:45 pm

The anion is larger than the neutral atom because as stated above, the proton number stays the same but the electron number increases. So, while the positive attraction stays the same, the negative charge increases. This causes repulsion among the electrons which increases the size. However, if the proton count had increased as well as the electron count, then the radius would become smaller because the increased positive charge would bring the electrons closer to the nucleus.

Schem_student

Postby Schem_student » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:42 am

What about cations or postively charged atoms in the p block? Do cations follow the same trend as their neutral atoms?

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”