Ionization Energy and Electron Affinity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Hannah Faris 1C

Ionization Energy and Electron Affinity

Postby Hannah Faris 1C » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:17 pm

Can someone explain the difference between ionization energy and electron affinity?

Kyle Golden Dis 2G

Re: Ionization Energy and Electron Affinity

Postby Kyle Golden Dis 2G » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:55 pm

Ionization energy is the amount of energy needed to remove an electron from an atom. Atoms that form cations have lower IE because they want to give away their electrons, which requires less energy. Electron affinity is the energy released when an electron is added to an atom. In simple terms, atoms that form anions have the highest electron affinity because they really want more electrons. Both properties increases up a group and across a period.

Josephine Lu 4L

Postby Josephine Lu 4L » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:22 pm

Ionization energy is the energy needed to remove an electron from an atom in the gas phase. The further an electron is from the nucleus, the easier it is to remove. Ionization energies tend to decrease down a group (because of shielding from shells) and increase across a period (because greater attraction between electrons and nucleus). On the other hand, electron affinity is the energy released when an electron is added to a gas-phase atom.

Yukta Italia 3I

Postby Yukta Italia 3I » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Why are electrons that are further away from the nucleus easier to remove?

Nicolette_Canlian_2L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Nicolette_Canlian_2L » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:38 pm

Yukta Italia 3I wrote:Why are electrons that are further away from the nucleus easier to remove?

The inner electrons shield the other electrons, causing a decrease in the effective nuclear charge. This allows for an easier removal of a valence electron.

Krista Mercado 1B

Postby Krista Mercado 1B » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:38 am

Yukta Italia 3I wrote:Why are electrons that are further away from the nucleus easier to remove?

The nucleus has a positive charge, which attracts negatively charged electrons. If electrons are farther away from the nucleus, this positive nuclear charge is weaker, so the electrons aren't pulled as tightly towards the nucleus.

SophiaKohlhoff4B

Postby SophiaKohlhoff4B » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Is there a trend for electron affinities?

LorenzoDuvergne3I

Postby LorenzoDuvergne3I » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Kyle Golden Dis 1H wrote:Ionization energy is the amount of energy needed to remove an electron from an atom. Atoms that form cations have lower IE because they want to give away their electrons, which requires less energy. Electron affinity is the energy released when an electron is added to an atom. In simple terms, atoms that form anions have the highest electron affinity because they really want more electrons. Both properties increases up a group and across a period.

I understand why anions would have an "affinity" for electrons but with regards to the actual definition how do they release more energy upon gaining an electron?

Estelle Jung

Postby Estelle Jung » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:21 pm

Ionization energy increases from left to right on the periodic table because of nuclear charge. The more protons there are in the nucleus, the stronger the attraction of the nucleus to the electrons.

Selina Bellin 2B

Postby Selina Bellin 2B » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:23 pm

SophiaKohlhoff4B wrote:Is there a trend for electron affinities?

the trend for electron affinity is
-down a column it decreases due to the weaker force of attraction as energy levels increase
-across a row it increases because adding protons increase the force of attraction

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”