Ionization Energy

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Samantha Burmester 3H

Ionization Energy

Postby Samantha Burmester 3H » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:17 pm

For homework question F.7 (7th edition), the book asks you to order the elements in decreasing ionization energy and explain why.
I understand the explanation (the periodic trend is ionization energy decreases down a group and increases across a period).
In the solutions manual, it is listing measurements in kJ/mol. Will we be expected to do that on the midterm? If so, how did they find that?

Kessandra Ng 1K

Re: Ionization Energy

Postby Kessandra Ng 1K » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:26 pm

I don't think we're expected to list the exact ionisation energies in our answers unless we're given them in a table or something. I would assume not because we're only given the basic periodic table in our tests anyways! Just as long as you get the order of elements right.

Max Hayama 4K

Postby Max Hayama 4K » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:20 pm

We will not be expected to memorize ionization energies of different elements. As long as you know the general periodic trends, you should be fine!

KatelinTanjuaquio 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby KatelinTanjuaquio 1L » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:05 pm

So long as you understand the general trends of ionization energy, I think you should be fine. Though it is not necessary to know the measurements, I believe you can find them in the Appendix.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”