Metals, metalloids, and nonmetals

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lauryn Shinno 2H

Metals, metalloids, and nonmetals

Postby Lauryn Shinno 2H » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:04 am

Hi can someone explain how you know if an element is a metal, metalloid, and nonmetals? Also, do we have to know this?

Anita Wong 1H
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Metals, metalloids, and nonmetals

Postby Anita Wong 1H » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:10 am

you should know by the placement on the periodic table. just search it up and youll find images! when i went to the periodic trends review session the ta said we should know stuff like that

annaspain

Postby annaspain » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Basically, the elements in the s, d, and f blocks (except H & He) are metals. As you get towards the right side of the table, the elements are mostly nonmetals. Between the metals and non-metals, there is a diagonal pattern of metalloids (B, Si, Ge, As, Sb, Te, Po). It's easier to see with a photo, but if you just google "periodic table metals, nonmetals, metalloids" you'll find one.

Alex Alonso - 4F

Postby Alex Alonso - 4F » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:11 pm

You should be able to tell by where the element is on the periodic table! I can't really remember off the top of my head, but metals are the left side, the d-block, and the f-block, nonmetals are on the right side, and metalloids are some of the elements between the d-block and the nonmetals. Google will definitely give you a better answer though haha

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”