bond length

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

bellaha4F

bond length

Postby bellaha4F » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:48 pm

should we know how to calculate the bond lengths of the lewis structures? is there even a way to do that?

erica thompson 4I

Re: bond length

Postby erica thompson 4I » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:58 pm

I'm not sure I think he said that that's assessed in a formal lab setting? I think talking about the specifics of bond length was more to emphasize that electrons are not bouncing between elements, forming only a few specific double bonds. Electrons are always moving!

Can someone elaborate on this? Am I wrong in thinking there's no way for us to calculate the length in the context of this class?

Kishan Shah 2G

Postby Kishan Shah 2G » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:36 pm

So far I know of no way to calculate bond lengths and I don't know if Lavelle will teach us a method to. I also do not think him going over it in class today roughly means we have it know it. I think he went over it just to reinforce basic concepts.

SarahCoufal_1k

Postby SarahCoufal_1k » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:45 pm

I think he was just talking about the different types to inform us. Also to show how the length can be shorter when attraction is greater. I think he just used the numbers to help us understand better, not have a way to calculate it.

Anvi Brahmbhatt 4A

Postby Anvi Brahmbhatt 4A » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:00 pm

He also mentioned in class that the bond lengths of double bonds are shorter than those of single bonds, and that the bond lengths of triple bonds are shorter than those of double bonds.

Shutong Hou_1F

Postby Shutong Hou_1F » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:19 pm

I believe that we don't need to know how to calculate bond length throughout chem 14A. However, I think it is necessary to know that the bond length of triple bond is shorted than double bond, which is shorter than single bond. There are three pairs of shared electrons in triple bond, so the forces between atoms are the strongest, resulting in the shortest bond length among three bonds.

Nicholas_Gladkov_2J

Postby Nicholas_Gladkov_2J » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:32 pm

bellaha3L wrote:should we know how to calculate the bond lengths of the lewis structures? is there even a way to do that?

Calculating the length of bonds are done in a lab setting. I think that we just have to know that as there are more bonds, the lengths are shorter. However, in real life, bonds are a hybrid of the various bonds. This is why we draw all of the resonance structures to have a more accurate representation.

Kaitlyn Jang 1F

Postby Kaitlyn Jang 1F » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:29 pm

I don't think we have to know exact bond lengths, but it may be helpful to keep in mind that single bonds are longer than double bonds which are longer than triple bonds (triple bond length<double bond length<single bond length, so triple bonds are shortest).

Lauren Tanaka 1A

Postby Lauren Tanaka 1A » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:25 pm

I'm not completely sure whether we have to know how to calculate it but I think you do need to know the different bond lengths of bond types. A triple bond would be the shortest and double would be the next shortest and then a single bond would be the longest.

Amanda Ung 4D

Postby Amanda Ung 4D » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:39 pm

I don't think we have to know the exact measurements but a good thing to keep in mind is that in resonance structures, the actual molecule is a blend of all possible structures.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”