Relationship between Electronegativity and Ionization Energy?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

alicechien_4F

Relationship between Electronegativity and Ionization Energy?

Postby alicechien_4F » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:57 pm

What is the relationship between electronegativity and ionization energy? I know Dr. Lavelle said that the atom with the lowest ionization energy is the central atom for a lewis structure, but in high school I learned that the central atom was the most electronegative atom. Is the atom with the lowest ionization energy the atom with the highest electronegativity? Thank you!

Parker Smith

Re: Relationship between Electronegativity and Ionization Energy?

Postby Parker Smith » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:07 pm

An atom with a low IE (Ionization energy) typically has a low electronegativity. If an atom has a low electronegativity, it takes less energy to remove the electron since the effective nuclear charge the electron is experiencing is less. I believe the atom with the lowest IE is in the middle because it is more likely to share electrons versus an atom with high electronegativity.

Micah3J

Postby Micah3J » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:59 pm

Is the electron affinity a number that we will have to calculate or something we memorize?

ishaa Diwakar 4E

Postby ishaa Diwakar 4E » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:10 pm

Atoms with low ionization energy will usually have higher electronegativity. Therefore, the atom will be less likely to lose its own electrons and more likely to attract electrons from another atom. Electron affinity, in my experience, is usually given. If not, you can calculate it using other values.

Jenna Ortiguerra 4G

Postby Jenna Ortiguerra 4G » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:05 am

Electronegativity is the tendency of an atom to attract a shared pair of electrons. Electronegativity increases as you go up and across the period of the periodic table (fluorine is the most electronegative element). Ionization energy is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom or ion. Ionization energy shares the same trend as electronegativity. This is because atoms that are more likely to attract electrons are less likely to lose their own electrons.

Alexa Hernandez 3k
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Alexa Hernandez 3k » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:07 am

They do have similar tendencies...

melinak1

Postby melinak1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:33 am

alicechien_1I wrote:What is the relationship between electronegativity and ionization energy? I know Dr. Lavelle said that the atom with the lowest ionization energy is the central atom for a lewis structure, but in high school I learned that the central atom was the most electronegative atom. Is the atom with the lowest ionization energy the atom with the highest electronegativity? Thank you!

it is generally a direct relationship

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”