Ionization and Electron Affinity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

thanh24mai

Ionization and Electron Affinity

Postby thanh24mai » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:12 pm

What's the difference between ionization energy and electron affinity?

EvaLi_3J

Re: Ionization and Electron Affinity

Postby EvaLi_3J » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:15 pm

Ionization energy represents the energy needed to REMOVE one electron from the atom, which is a representation of how easily the atom loses electrons.

Electron affinity is the opposite. It measure how easily an atom GAINs electrons.

The trends for these two properties are mostly opposite on the periodic table. However, electron affinity is not very regular.

Charisse Vu 1H

Postby Charisse Vu 1H » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:18 pm

Ionization energy refers to the energy needed to remove an electron from an atom (in its gas phase) while electron affinity refers to the energy released when an electron is added to an atom (in its gas phase). Electron affinity could also be explained as how much an atom attracts/gains electrons!

Aliya Jain 2B

Postby Aliya Jain 2B » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:22 pm

I'm pretty sure both the ionization energy and the electron affinity of an atom decrease as you go down a Group and increase as you go across a period. But there are some exceptions to these patterns.

AmyL_3L

Postby AmyL_3L » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:17 pm

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom, whereas electron affinity is the amount of energy released or used when an electron is added to an atom. Their trends on the periodic table, however, are the same.

Brian J Cheng 1I

Postby Brian J Cheng 1I » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:21 pm

Adding on to the posts above, I find it helpful to remember the two separately by thinking of Electron Affinity (energy released when an element gains an electron) as the "affinity" or "attraction" that an elements have for an electron. This increases across a row and decreases down a column, which is the same trend for ionization energy.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”