Ionization Energy (10d on Midterm Review)

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Janet Nguy 2C

Ionization Energy (10d on Midterm Review)

Postby Janet Nguy 2C » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:23 pm

10. d) Rank the following in order of increasing ionization energies: C N O F

This was one of the questions on the midterm review packet: the answer is C < O < N < F, but I'm still confused on why, since I thought that ionization energy increases across a period.

They mentioned that N's half-filled shell is more stable, but can someone explain why? And in the future, will I always have to write out the electron configurations to figure out which elements have the higher ionization energies?

TYun_1C

Re: Ionization Energy (10d on Midterm Review)

Postby TYun_1C » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:30 pm

The half filled shell is more stable because with 4 electrons, there is electron to electron repulsion in the first orbital, making the electron easier to remove.

Selena Yu 1H
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Selena Yu 1H » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:07 am

No, you don't always have to write out the full electron configuration because you just have to know the periodic trend for ionization energy, which is that it increases from bottom to top and left to right. As for the exceptions we need to know, they are oxygen and nitrogen, where nitrogen is greater than oxygen, and phosphorus and sulfur, where phosphorus is greater than sulfur.

Claire Stoecklein 1E

Postby Claire Stoecklein 1E » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:26 pm

There are exceptions for Oxygen, Boron, and Calcium. To be safe, you should probably write out the electron configurations to see if there is a reason that certain elements could achieve lower energies.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”