Run Down of Trends

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ariel Fern 2B

Run Down of Trends

Postby Ariel Fern 2B » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Can someone give me a quick and easy way to think about trends? Like tips to remember the arrows of decreasing to increasing without having to look up values? Also, when elements are in a different period and group, how should I think about trends (for example, trying to determine whether chlorine, sulfur, or nitrogen has greater electronegativity)? Thanks!

Chloe Alviz 1E

Re: Run Down of Trends

Postby Chloe Alviz 1E » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:32 pm

When I think about the trends, I like to think about them conceptually!

Going across a row (L to R), the electrons occupy the same shell, so there is less shielding from the nucleus. As a result, they have a greater pull to the nucleus and are much smaller in radius.

When you go down a group, the electrons occupy shells farther from the nucleus so it is much larger in radius and easier to remove an electron.

Hope this helps!

Ariel Fern 2B

Postby Ariel Fern 2B » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Chloe Alviz 3F wrote:When I think about the trends, I like to think about them conceptually!

Going across a row (L to R), the electrons occupy the same shell, so there is less shielding from the nucleus. As a result, they have a greater pull to the nucleus and are much smaller in radius.

When you go down a group, the electrons occupy shells farther from the nucleus so it is much larger in radius and easier to remove an electron.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, Chloe! That does help! Instead of thinking of just the arrows, it is beneficial to just consider effective nuclear charge and the size of the atom! Honestly, the arrows make me overthink it, so thinking of the pull of the nucleus will be easier to think things through, especially on the midterm.

britthanul234

Postby britthanul234 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:08 pm

Atomic and ionic radius (increases as you go down and left)
Ionization energy and electron affinity (increases as you go up and right).

Julia Mazzucato 4D

Postby Julia Mazzucato 4D » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:00 am

Electronegativity increases as you go right and decreases as you go down. So electronegativity is highest in the upper right hand corner of the PT.
Ionization energy increases as you go right and decreases as you go down. So ionization energy is highest in the upper right hand corner of the PT.
Atomic and ionic radius decrease as you go right and increase as you do down. So atomic/ionic radius is highest in the lower left hand corner of the PT.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”