Electron Affinity and Electronegativity

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Michael Iter 2F

Electron Affinity and Electronegativity

Postby Michael Iter 2F » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:35 pm

Hi I'm still confused over the difference between electron affinity and electronegativity. Do they effectively go hand in hand?

AdilaAhmed3I

Re: Electron Affinity and Electronegativity

Postby AdilaAhmed3I » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:37 pm

Michael Iter 1E wrote:Hi I'm still confused over the difference between electron affinity and electronegativity. Do they effectively go hand in hand?

The electron affinity of an atom or molecule is defined as the amount of energy released when an electron is added to a neutral atom or molecule in the gaseous state to form a negative ion.
Electronegativity is a chemical property that says how well an atom can attract electrons towards itself.

Xinyu Li 1C

Postby Xinyu Li 1C » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Electronegativity: how well an atom can attract electrons toward itself

Electron affinity: amount of energy released when an electron is added to a molecule or atom

Andre Fabian 1F
Been upvoted: 3 times

Postby Andre Fabian 1F » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:19 pm

Michael Iter 1E wrote:Hi I'm still confused over the difference between electron affinity and electronegativity. Do they effectively go hand in hand?

Electron affinity is the amount of energy released after an atom or molecule gains an electron, and electronegativity is the ability of an atom to attract an electron.

Hope this helps!
Andre

LeanneBagood_2F

Postby LeanneBagood_2F » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:35 pm

this might be a dumb question but i'm blanking: how do we determine electronegativity? is there something we'd look at on the periodic table or something like that?

Marc Lubman 3B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Marc Lubman 3B » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:30 pm

LeanneBagood_2E wrote:this might be a dumb question but i'm blanking: how do we determine electronegativity? is there something we'd look at on the periodic table or something like that?

Electronegativity could be generally determined a couple ways if you're not just relying on the periodic trend of it increasing as you go up diagonally right across the periodic table.
One way would be to observe the properties of the element in chemical reactions. We might, for example, be able to tell that one element is more electronegative than another if it displaces that other element to bind to a super electropositive atom.
Another would be to postulate based on the electron arrangement of the atom. If an element is only one or two gained electrons away from a stable 8-electron shell or another stable arrangement, it will be predictably electronegative, and if an element only needs to lose one excess, annoying electron in order to have that comfy arrangement, it'll be quite electropositive.

Karina Grover 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Karina Grover 1A » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:38 pm

Electronegativity indicates how well an atom can attract electrons to itself, whereas electron affinity is the quantitative amount of energy released when an electron is gained by an atom. When a more stable element gains an electron, it will absorb energy because the addition of an electron to this more stable atom is unfavorable. However, when a less stable element gains an electron, it will release energy.

Gustavo_Chavez_1K

Postby Gustavo_Chavez_1K » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:17 pm

Electron affinity basically measures the energy change when a neutral atom attracts an electron to become a negative ion. Electronegativity measures the ability of an atom to attract bonding electrons to itself. One thing to keep in mind though is that both electronegativity and electron affinity increase as we go up and to the right of the periodic table.

David Liu 1E

Postby David Liu 1E » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:36 pm

Hi this is probably another dumb question but why does electron affinity increase as we go up and to the right? I understand how electronegativity goes up but not affinity

Armen_Isayan_2L

Postby Armen_Isayan_2L » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:30 pm

Hello Michael! The difference between electronegativity and electron affinity is that electronegativity defines how likely an atom is to attract a shared pair of electrons. On the other hand, electron affinity is the change which occurs in energy when an electron is added to a gaseous atom.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”