ionization trend

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brett Lieuallen 2A

ionization trend

Postby Brett Lieuallen 2A » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:00 pm

How does low ionization energy ensure that the atom conducts electricity?

Lucy Wang 2J
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: ionization trend

Postby Lucy Wang 2J » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:40 pm

Hi Brett,

I'm not completely sure but my understanding is that in order to conduct electricity, electrons need to be able to to be transferred relatively easily from atom to atom as free electrons. And when the ionization energy for an atom is low, this means that the energy needed to remove an electron from an atom is very low which means that electrons are able to to move around somewhat easily. This is why a low ionization energy is needed in order for an atom to be able to conduct electricity.

Juliet Carr 1F

Postby Juliet Carr 1F » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:39 pm

The elements on the periodic table with 'low' first ionization energy values (compared to the other elements) are metals, and metals conduct electricity well. So, that could be used to explain how low ionization energy ensures that atom conducts electricity. I'm sure there are other factors that can effect whether or not an atom conducts electricity, but in general I think you can say low ionization energy is related to conductivity of an atom for the reasons explained by Lucy.

AJForte-2C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby AJForte-2C » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:53 pm

hello, im not totally sure, but what i remember form high school chem is that metals with a low ionization energy have electrons that are easier to move around, so in something like a galvanic cell the electrons can move around and be transferd easier, meaning it makes creating a current easier.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”