Metalloids/Non-Metals on the Periodic Table

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

SophiaNguyen_2L

Metalloids/Non-Metals on the Periodic Table

Postby SophiaNguyen_2L » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:01 pm

Hello! Is there a way or a trick to remember what elements on the right side of the periodic table are non-metals or metalloids? I tend to get confused which ones are which. Thank you in advance!

Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Metalloids/Non-Metals on the Periodic Table

Postby Kaitlyn Hernandez 3I » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:19 pm

I think the best way to remember which elements are metalloids are by memorizing them. Since there are only seven of them on our periodic table, I don't think it would be too hard to memorize them with a mnemonic such as: Boring Silly Goats Are At The Party (Boron, Silicon, Germanium, Arsenic, Antimony, Tellurium, and Polonium). We usually are provided a periodic table as well so in case you don't have one, the textbook has one that's color coordinated and easy to follow :)

Anirudh Mahadev 1G

Postby Anirudh Mahadev 1G » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:37 pm

Kaitlyn Hernandez 2E wrote:I think the best way to remember which elements are metalloids are by memorizing them. Since there are only seven of them on our periodic table, I don't think it would be too hard to memorize them with a mnemonic such as: Boring Silly Goats Are At The Party (Boron, Silicon, Germanium, Arsenic, Antimony, Tellurium, and Polonium). We usually are provided a periodic table as well so in case you don't have one, the textbook has one that's color coordinated and easy to follow :)

I use a mnemonic device as well. I use "Big Strong Gators Ate All The Pie". I wouldn't rely on the periodic table to identify the metalloids because I think some elements touch the line but aren't metalloids.

Rajshree 1F

Postby Rajshree 1F » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:48 am

Anirudh Mahadev 1B wrote:
Kaitlyn Hernandez 2E wrote:I think the best way to remember which elements are metalloids are by memorizing them. Since there are only seven of them on our periodic table, I don't think it would be too hard to memorize them with a mnemonic such as: Boring Silly Goats Are At The Party (Boron, Silicon, Germanium, Arsenic, Antimony, Tellurium, and Polonium). We usually are provided a periodic table as well so in case you don't have one, the textbook has one that's color coordinated and easy to follow :)

I use a mnemonic device as well. I use "Big Strong Gators Ate All The Pie". I wouldn't rely on the periodic table to identify the metalloids because I think some elements touch the line but aren't metalloids.

what is the point of the line on the periodic table?

Neel Sharma 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Neel Sharma 3F » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:14 am

I agree. The line on the periodic table differentiates between metalloids and non-metals. If this line is not provided then you can imagine a staircase and pattern it on the periodic table as a guide. Learning about silicon and these types of elements and their unique properties can also help. Hope this helps!

Joel Meza 3I

Postby Joel Meza 3I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:16 pm

I think mnemonics are great for remembering, but I just have memorized them by remembering a color coordinated periodic table. Maybe try looking at one a couple times a day or using one when you work on problems that require you to refer to the periodic table, so that you get that image in your head for when you only have a black and white periodic table available.

Rohit Srinivas 2D

Postby Rohit Srinivas 2D » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:27 pm

The way I memorized them is by looking at the periodic table. I have memorized the shape of the "staircase" and can reproduce it from memory. This method is probably less efficient than a mnemonic but goes to show there are alternative ways of memorizing them

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”