Tips for remembering

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Karina Rodriguez 2H

Tips for remembering

Postby Karina Rodriguez 2H » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:57 pm

Does anyone have any tips for how to recall the trends in the periodic table?

Sean Phen

Re: Tips for remembering

Postby Sean Phen » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:02 pm

To remember the trends for the periodic table, I would just try looking up diagrams of the periodic table on which way each trend is going. For example, the atomic radius increases in size from the top right to bottom right. In my head, I just try to memorize and picture those diagrams and arrows. The method of memorizing is different for everyone, so you just have to find out what works for you.

t_rasul2I

Postby t_rasul2I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:26 pm

I just remember two things: the farther right it is on the periodic table, the smaller it is. And, the more protons there is to the electrons, the tighter and smaller the atom is.

IshanModiDis2L

Postby IshanModiDis2L » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:53 pm

For periodic trends, I find it easy and useful to remember a few key things. As you go across a period horizontally, your ionization energy and electron affinity increase but your atomic radius decreases. As you go down a group, the atomic radius increases but electron affinity and ionization energy decreases.

Valerie Tran 2B
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Valerie Tran 2B » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:59 pm

For me, I know that electronegativity increases going up and to the right. From there you can start to derive other trends since periodic trends(effective nuclear charge, affinity, ionization energy, etc) are related. I'd recommend knowing the relationships between these/the fundamentals behind them which will make periodic trends come easier.

Aliya Roserie 3I

Postby Aliya Roserie 3I » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:09 pm

I think if you watch a couple YouTube videos on those you will feel more comfortable with understanding the material. thats what helps me the most.

Megan Lu 3D

Postby Megan Lu 3D » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:23 pm

Hi! Personally, I just memorize the trend directionally; as you move to the right and upwards on the periodic table, the atomic radius decreases. The opposite is true for electron affinity and ionization energy.

Rylee Mangan 1K
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Rylee Mangan 1K » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:33 pm

Its important to remember why these trends occur instead of memorizing them.
Atomic radius increases down the table and decreases to the right of the table because these elements have more protons that pull the electrons in- making the atom smaller.

Electronegativity (how much an atom wants an electron) increases up the table because the smaller the atom, the stronger the force pulling the electrons in. It also increases to the right of the table because those elements are closer to becoming noble gases (they need another electron(s) to do this).

Ionization energy (energy needed to lose an electron) increases up the table for similar reasons - the electrons are closer to the nucleus. Its easier to remove electrons further down the columns because they have more shells and aren't holding as tightly to the electrons in the outermost shell. Also ionization energy increases to the right because these elements want to gain an electron, not lose!!! They hold onto their electrons more tightly so it requires more energy to lose them.
Hope this makes sense!

Joshua Swift

Postby Joshua Swift » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:24 pm

Atomic radius gets larger as you move toward the bottom left of the periodic table.

Electronegativity is highest as you move toward the top left of the periodic table.

Electron affinity and ionization energy both increase as you move from left to right on the table.

Lillian

Postby Lillian » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:32 pm

Left and down = bigger radius.
The rest, I memorized as is... I do hope there's a better way than this lol

jia207

Postby jia207 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:48 pm

I make flash cards with all the trends! Drawing them all out in my own writing really helps me learn/study them.

Katie Phan 1K

Postby Katie Phan 1K » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:11 pm

If you ever forget trends, just think about what you know about atoms. It's better to know the reasons why these trends occur rather than just remembering them. However, I do find it helpful to write arrows on my periodic table just to refer back to.

Anthony_Sandoval_1D

Postby Anthony_Sandoval_1D » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:30 pm

I pretty much just memorized them by using flashcards. If that isn't your style maybe try imagining the trends as waves that lead to different islands. Maybe associating it with an image like this will make it easier to recall.

Victoria_Sauceda_1B

Postby Victoria_Sauceda_1B » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:31 pm

You can always make a quizlet. I find that the mini games really help me remember and learn information.

Marco Vivar 3G

Postby Marco Vivar 3G » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:39 pm

I feel like a good way to remember things is to simply quiz yourself. Pick random elements and quiz yourself on ionization and atomic radius.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”