Easy Way to Remember Trends

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Inderpal Singh 2L
Been upvoted: 3 times

Easy Way to Remember Trends

Postby Inderpal Singh 2L » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:43 pm

Does anyone know an acronym for remembering periodic trends? For instance, for the different wavelengths, there was Rauls Mother is Visiting Uncle Xaviers Garden. (Radio, Microwave, Infrared, Visible, UV, X-ray, Gamma).

Jordan Tatang 3L
Been upvoted: 3 times

Re: Easy Way to Remember Trends

Postby Jordan Tatang 3L » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:46 pm

This site has a pretty good acronym https://www.prospectivedoctor.com/mcat- ... ic-trends/

Natalie Do 3F

Postby Natalie Do 3F » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:55 pm

The way I remember trends is that they all go up towards the top right except for atomic radius which goes down towards the bottom left. You can remember that because it makes sense that more electrons means a bigger radius and then the rest (electron negativity and ionization energy) are the opposite of that. One issue with this strategy is deciding if the vertical or horizontal is more important and would love to hear everyone's tips on memorizing that.

Eliot Kagan 2G

Postby Eliot Kagan 2G » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Hello,
I don't have an acronym to remember the trends but I found this website very helpful in doing so.
Website: https://chem.libretexts.org/Bookshelves ... _Chemistry)/Descriptive_Chemistry/Periodic_Trends_of_Elemental_Properties/Periodic_Trends

Jared Limqueco 3E

Postby Jared Limqueco 3E » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:02 pm

I guess for memorizing the diatomic elements in the table a good acronym is "have no fear of ice cold beer" (H, N, F, O, I, Cl, Br)

For other trends, I think it would be better to know why the reason those trends occur rather than memorize, if you catch what I'm saying

Sara_Lim_2C

Postby Sara_Lim_2C » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:18 pm

This is kinda off topic but I've never heard that acronym for wavelengths before. I heard Rabbits Mate In Very Unusually eXpensive Gardens lol.

But like someone above said I remember that ionization energy increases toward the top right corner, and atomic radius increases to the bottom left corner. I think electron affinity and electronegativity are a little less predictable though.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”