Atomic radius

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Sonel Raj 3I

Atomic radius

Postby Sonel Raj 3I » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:09 am

When we look at two elements that aren't particularly located in any extremes on the periodic table (i.e bottom left or top right), how would we be able to determine atomic radius? More specifically, between K and Pb, how would we be able to tell which one is larger and which one is smaller without any actual values, since Pb is a whole two energy levels down, but has three more valence electrons in its outer shell?

Would the horizontal trend concerning atomic radius be more indicative of atomic radius, or vice versa?

Mackenzie Van Val 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Atomic radius

Postby Mackenzie Van Val 3E » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:24 am

Hi! I would guess that we would use the periodic trend concerning atomic radii to determine which atom has the larger radius. It seems that the atomic radii trend tends to be very consistent across the periodic table, which would probably make it easier to use than looking at the number of valence electrons. I hope this helps!

Shalyn Kelly 3H

Postby Shalyn Kelly 3H » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:42 am

Hi! I agree with the post above, and if I recall correctly, the horizontal trend is a bit stronger than the vertical. However, I'm unsure if there are any straight up exceptions to the atomic radius trend.

Moura Girgis 1F

Postby Moura Girgis 1F » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:54 am

Shalyn Kelly 1L wrote:Hi! I agree with the post above, and if I recall correctly, the horizontal trend is a bit stronger than the vertical. However, I'm unsure if there are any straight up exceptions to the atomic radius trend.

I think Dr. Lavelle might have mentioned these exceptions in his pervious lectures where he discusses trends in the periodic table

keely_bales_1f

Postby keely_bales_1f » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:04 pm

If you want more clarification for atomic radii, I would look at the period table that Lavelle had put in his lectures. I have attached the link to a similar one below... I hope this helps!
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAJ

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”