Ionization Energy of Group 13

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jessica Hu 3L

Ionization Energy of Group 13

Postby Jessica Hu 3L » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:06 pm

Hi! One of the UA worksheets (I believe Riya's Week 5 worksheet) explains that the ionization enthalpy of Ga is higher than Al because the 3d-subshell is unable to completely shield the valence electrons. This also applies to Ti having a higher ionization enthalpy than In (ineffective shielding of electrons by d and f subshells). I was just wondering if someone could explain this a little bit more to me. Thanks!

Praneetha Kakarla 3A
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Ionization Energy of Group 13

Postby Praneetha Kakarla 3A » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:43 pm

The poor shielding effect of d- and f-electrons is because of the shapes of d- and f-orbitals. As you get closer to the nucleus, the probability density decreases, so d- and f-electrons can't get as close to the nucleus as s-electrons can. Because of this, d- and f-electrons can't shield as well as s-electrons.

Since Ga has electrons in the 3d subshell, its valence electrons experience a greater effective nuclear charge than valence electrons in an Al atom (which doesn't have electrons in a d-subshell). Electrons in an f-subshell are worse at shielding than d-electrons, so valence electrons in Tl experience a greater effective nuclear charge than valence electrons in an In atom.

AHUNT_1A

Postby AHUNT_1A » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:42 am

Jessica Hu 3L wrote:Hi! One of the UA worksheets (I believe Riya's Week 5 worksheet) explains that the ionization enthalpy of Ga is higher than Al because the 3d-subshell is unable to completely shield the valence electrons. This also applies to Ti having a higher ionization enthalpy than In (ineffective shielding of electrons by d and f subshells). I was just wondering if someone could explain this a little bit more to me. Thanks!

Is there anyway you can share that worksheet with me ?

Jessica Hu 3L

Postby Jessica Hu 3L » Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:34 pm

AHUNT_1A wrote:
Jessica Hu 3L wrote:Hi! One of the UA worksheets (I believe Riya's Week 5 worksheet) explains that the ionization enthalpy of Ga is higher than Al because the 3d-subshell is unable to completely shield the valence electrons. This also applies to Ti having a higher ionization enthalpy than In (ineffective shielding of electrons by d and f subshells). I was just wondering if someone could explain this a little bit more to me. Thanks!

Is there anyway you can share that worksheet with me ?

It should be in this drive with a bunch of UA worksheets: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”