Focus 1 Exercise 13

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jared Limqueco 3E

Focus 1 Exercise 13

Postby Jared Limqueco 3E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:30 pm

Q: Ionization energies usually increase on going from left to right across the periodic table. The ionization energy for oxygen, however, is lower than that of either nitrogen or fluorine. Explain this anomaly.

I don't know where to begin thinking. Does anyone know how to explain this?

Varsha Ravi 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Focus 1 Exercise 13

Postby Varsha Ravi 3E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:31 pm

I believe that the reason why it's different for oxygen is because it's the first element in which the electrons are paired in the p-orbitals (nitrogen has 3 unpaired electrons, fluorine has 2 paired 1 unpaired). Because of this, it has a slightly lower ionization energy than nitrogen despite being further to the right.

Chance Herbert 3A

Postby Chance Herbert 3A » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:38 pm

Ionization energy is the amount of energy required to remove an electron from an atom. Oxygen is the first element in the p-block to have a paired electron. It is slightly easier to remove an electron from oxygen than it is in nitrogen and fluorine because this one paired electron is subject to a greater magnitude of repulsion from other electrons than if it were to have no paired electrons and one less attractive proton (center-seeking force) or two paired electrons and one more attractive proton, which would result in oxygen being an anomaly and having the lowest ionization of the three elements. Hope this helps.

Jared Limqueco 3E

Postby Jared Limqueco 3E » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:42 pm

Varsha Ravi 2C wrote:I believe that the reason why it's different for oxygen is because it's the first element in which the electrons are paired in the p-orbitals (nitrogen has 3 unpaired electrons, fluorine has 2 paired 1 unpaired). Because of this, it has a slightly lower ionization energy than nitrogen despite being further to the right.

Ohhhhh I see, that makes sense. Definitely some good attention to detail. Thank you.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”