Electron Affinity Periodic Table Patterns  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Kassidy Patron 1L

Electron Affinity Periodic Table Patterns

Postby Kassidy Patron 1L » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:46 am

Hi! Logically, I can break down how to rank elements' electron affinity from most energy released vs most energy absorbed after analyzing their electron configurations. I probably just need more practice to be faster through this method, but I was wondering if there were any periodic table trends to easily rank the electron affinity. For example, would it be safe to say that the column right next to the noble gases would be releasing the most energy because they'd gain the most stability?

In other words, is there a way to look at the columns/groups of a periodic table and automatically tell "that one would release/absorb energy" without having to write out the electron configurations and logically break it down?

Martha Avila 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Electron Affinity Periodic Table Patterns

Postby Martha Avila 1I » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:21 am

Hello! So you are in luck. While watching a review video I discovered a series of numbers (corresponds to groups) that can help you determine which elements have the highest electron affinities. That series of numbers is 76 45 13 28. You have to keep in mind that when you apply these values you must exclude groups 3-12 and refer to group 13 as 3, group 14 as 4 and so on. So now to interpret the series of numbers 7 which is the first number in the sequence will have the most amount of energy released by gaining an electron followed by 6. You just continue using the series of numbers in order and you will have electron affinity. Hope this isn't too confusing.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: Electron Affinity Periodic Table Patterns  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:24 am

Kassidy Patron 1L wrote:Hi! Logically, I can break down how to rank elements' electron affinity from most energy released vs most energy absorbed after analyzing their electron configurations. I probably just need more practice to be faster through this method, but I was wondering if there were any periodic table trends to easily rank the electron affinity. For example, would it be safe to say that the column right next to the noble gases would be releasing the most energy because they'd gain the most stability?

In other words, is there a way to look at the columns/groups of a periodic table and automatically tell "that one would release/absorb energy" without having to write out the electron configurations and logically break it down?

Hello

Generally electron affinity decreases as you down a group and increases as you do across a period (left to right). It is hard to predict exactly which element will release/absorb energy in order to gain an electron. But generally all elements, besides the noble gases and a few key exceptions (i.e., N, Mg, etc.), release energy when an electron is added to the atom.

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”