How much do we need to know for midterm?  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Brandon Achugbue 3H

How much do we need to know for midterm?

Postby Brandon Achugbue 3H » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:01 am

Dr. Lavelle said that the material covered by the midterm only goes up to our Friday 10/15 lecture, but I'm seeing concepts on the homework that I don't believe were covered in our lectures so far. Will we need to know about properties of ions? I've gotten questions about finding the ionic and atomic radius, and arranging elements by their electron affinity.

Chem_Mod
Has upvoted: 1253 times

Re: How much do we need to know for midterm?  [ENDORSED]

Postby Chem_Mod » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:24 am

I already covered those topics in class for the homework.

Midterm 1 covers all material to the end of 1E (electron configurations of neutral atoms) in the textbook. We finished all midterm 1 material Friday of Week 3.

1F: Trends in the periodic table (the last quantum section already covered for the HW) will not be on MT1.
Electron configurations of cations and anions (already covered for the HW) will not be on MT1.

This was communicated by email and in the detailed 3 page Midterm 1 Information at:
https://lavelle.chem.ucla.edu/wp-conten ... 4A_MT1.pdf

Brandon Achugbue 3H

Re: How much do we need to know for midterm?

Postby Brandon Achugbue 3H » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:26 pm

Sorry, I've been quite behind and wasn't exactly sure which kinds of problems fell under the specific topics that would or wouldn't be covered, so seeing stuff in the HW that I didn't remember from lecture made me worried there was something I missed.

I only ask because I figured I can save myself some time and memory capacity by not loading my brain with unnecessary info before the midterm from the more recent lectures. Thanks!

Return to “Trends in The Periodic Table”