Balancing Equations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Julia_Gordon_2A

Balancing Equations

Postby Julia_Gordon_2A » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:45 pm

Are there specific rules when balancing equations regarding the state of a compound? Do the rules vary when you have a solid versus an aqueous, gas or liquid compound? Or do the same general rules for balancing equations apply across the board? Thank you!

Amy_Bugwadia_3I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Balancing Equations

Postby Amy_Bugwadia_3I » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:14 pm

The reason why we have to balance equations is due to the law of conservation of mass, which states that the mass of the reactants has to equal the mass of the products. From my understanding, a hydrogen atom, for example, has the same mass regardless of state of matter (which is why we only have one Periodic Table, not multiple ones depending on the state of matter of the atoms). I think that because of this, the basic rules for balancing equations are the same regardless of the state of matter.

Alex Yee - 4I

Postby Alex Yee - 4I » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:21 pm

The difference between the states of matter does not matter with balancing chemical equations. It tells you critical information about density, if molarity is a concern (dilutions), and other information that could be relevant to a more complex question, but in balancing equations, you just need to add stoichiometric coefficients until both sides have the same number of each element (conserving mass).

Ashley Bertholf 1E

Postby Ashley Bertholf 1E » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Hello! Just like the posts before, the rules for balancing equations are uniform across different states of compounds. However in a situation where you need to write the equation yourself before balancing it, it would be helpful to know the subscripts of elements in the state given. For example many elements in gaseous form receive a subscript 2 (O2).

Return to “Accuracy, Precision, Mole, Other Definitions”