Using Precision and Accuracy to Solve A Problem

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Perla Cervantes_1G

Using Precision and Accuracy to Solve A Problem

Postby Perla Cervantes_1G » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:09 pm

I understand that precision is how close to one another measurements are and I also know that accuracy is define measurements that are close to their true value. However, do we need a high precision AND high accuracy in order to solve for a correct answer? Or can one be compromised (precision for example, since it is technically not an indication of the "true value")?

Gianna Graziano 1A

Re: Using Precision and Accuracy to Solve A Problem

Postby Gianna Graziano 1A » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:27 pm

Hi Perla,
YES! Both precision and accuracy are wonderful to have in solving for the correct answer. The combination of these two factors tend to lead to a correct answer. Even though precision is technically not an indication of the true value, being precise is similar to being consistent. While precision and accuracy are independent of each other, they are equally important in solving chemistry problems.

Maria Zamarripa 1L
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Maria Zamarripa 1L » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 pm

In order to get the best answer/result having both high precision and high accuracy are important.

Elana Weingord 1C

Postby Elana Weingord 1C » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:28 pm

I think that it is also important to note that it is better to have high precision then high accuracy. This is because if you have high precision, then although your results will not be as accurate, you will be able to make changes to the way your experiment is run in order to eventually have high accuracy.

Return to “Accuracy, Precision, Mole, Other Definitions”