Exercise E9

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Julia Lindner 1I

Exercise E9

Postby Julia Lindner 1I » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm having trouble with exercise E9, about epson salts. I try to calculate the number of atoms of oxygen, mainly by following the method described in example E2, but I keep getting a different answer than the book. I'm also not sure how to calculate the number of formula units. Can anyone help me out?

Anushi Patel 1J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Exercise E9

Postby Anushi Patel 1J » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:56 pm

I think the tricky part about this problem is the formula for Epsom salt, which is MgS04.7H20 (the "." is supposed to represent the notation for hydrates, but I couldn't figure out how to type it out). The problem states that epsom salt is magnesium sulfate heptahydrate, which means that it has 7 water molecules attached to it that you have to count as part of the molar mass, which turns out to be 246.39 g/mol. To find the number of oxygen atoms, I used dimensional analysis and cancel out units to convert from 5.15 g of epsom salt, to moles of epsom salt, to moles of oxygen (the ratio of moles epsom salt to moles of oxygen is 1:11 since there are 11 oxygen atoms in the formula for epsom salt), to atoms of oxygen (using avogadro's number). Hope that helps!

AdityaGuru1H

Postby AdityaGuru1H » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:04 pm

So if something has some prefix-hydrate does that always mean that there is a H20 attached?

Julia Lindner 1I

Postby Julia Lindner 1I » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:18 pm

Anushi Patel 1L wrote:I think the tricky part about this problem is the formula for Epsom salt, which is MgS04.7H20 (the "." is supposed to represent the notation for hydrates, but I couldn't figure out how to type it out). The problem states that epsom salt is magnesium sulfate heptahydrate, which means that it has 7 water molecules attached to it that you have to count as part of the molar mass, which turns out to be 246.39 g/mol. To find the number of oxygen atoms, I used dimensional analysis and cancel out units to convert from 5.15 g of epsom salt, to moles of epsom salt, to moles of oxygen (the ratio of moles epsom salt to moles of oxygen is 1:11 since there are 11 oxygen atoms in the formula for epsom salt), to atoms of oxygen (using avogadro's number). Hope that helps!

That does help, thanks!

Return to “Accuracy, Precision, Mole, Other Definitions”