Would it be acceptable to use the term concentration (C) for molarity (M) of a solution?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Letizia Ye 4F

Would it be acceptable to use the term concentration (C) for molarity (M) of a solution?

Postby Letizia Ye 4F » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:28 pm

Hello!

I'm a student from Canada and we've always referred to the molarity of a solution as the concentration (C) of a solution. They're still in the same units (mol/L), and have the same formula (C=n/V), I was just wondering if there is a conventional preference? Thank you!

Kessandra Ng 1K

Re: Would it be acceptable to use the term concentration (C) for molarity (M) of a solution?

Postby Kessandra Ng 1K » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi!

I think concentration and molarity and basically the same meaning and you can use both of them, but while concentration is more general as the measurement of a certain quantity of solute in a certain unit of solution, molarity specifies that it's a measure of the number of moles of solute per litre of solution.

Isabel Bellon 4F

Re: Would it be acceptable to use the term concentration (C) for molarity (M) of a solution?

Postby Isabel Bellon 4F » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:47 pm

I agree with ^^ . Molarity is one of the many ways to express the concentration.

Nicholas Carpo 1L

Postby Nicholas Carpo 1L » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:55 pm

I think for the sake of uniformity, it would be better to use M for molarity because there are several ways concentration can be denoted (ie. molality). It's just for the sake of having a specific unit. Also, since we would be using the carbon element a lot which is also denoted by C, it might become confusing.

Return to “Accuracy, Precision, Mole, Other Definitions”