Does the state of matter mean anything right now?

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Jedrick Zablan 3L

Does the state of matter mean anything right now?

Postby Jedrick Zablan 3L » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Hey guys! Is the state of matter for the reactants and products significant for what we are doing right now in chemistry? Like will it impact balancing equations?

Siya Shah 1J

Re: Does the state of matter mean anything right now?

Postby Siya Shah 1J » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:53 pm

No, as far as I know, the state of matter doesn't influence the balancing of chemical reactions; it's just more of an introduction to more complex chemistry concepts we're likely to learn soon.

Karyn How 1J

Postby Karyn How 1J » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:54 pm

No, I don't think so. States of matter don't impact how you balance your equations.

Princess Jereza 3C

Postby Princess Jereza 3C » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:58 pm

I apologize for adding on to the initial question, but does anyone know if we will get points taken off of homework or exams if we do not put the state of matter next to the substances when writing a chemical equation?

Siya Shah 1J

Postby Siya Shah 1J » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:02 pm

princessjereza wrote:I apologize for adding on to the initial question, but does anyone know if we will get points taken off of homework or exams if we do not put the state of matter next to the substances when writing a chemical equation?

I don't know about points, although I expect in the future when we have to write out chemical reactions where the state of matter actually, well, matters, then you might expect to lose a point if you don't write it properly. But I'd say to just get into the habit of writing out the states of matter so you're used to it. No loss in doing a bit more to make sure you get those points.

Return to “Accuracy, Precision, Mole, Other Definitions”