Word Problem Efficiency

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Ariel Fern 2B

Word Problem Efficiency

Postby Ariel Fern 2B » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:53 pm

Hi everyone! I was wondering if you guys had any tips for reading through word problems and recognizing formulas and equations more efficiently (i.e. which compounds are diatomic, which ones are reacting, and which state are the compounds in)! I feel like I have been spending more time trying to figure out the compounds and what the question is asking rather than following the procedures. Any help would be appreciated; I don't want to feel pressed for time on the exams and tests.

Kyla Grunden 1L

Re: Word Problem Efficiency

Postby Kyla Grunden 1L » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Not sure if this will work for you, but I like to circle all the quantities in the problem and underline key words like "reacts with". It helps me almost visualize the equation in my head. Also, this way I'm not searching through the question to find amounts when I'm doing calculations.

Hope this will work for you!

gabbymaraziti

Postby gabbymaraziti » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:45 pm

I have the same problem.. I have no problem solving the problems that are laid out simply, but spend most of my time trying to break down the word problems. Ive tried circling quantities to try to simplify the paragraphs, but it doesn't help too much. If anyone has any other methods for breaking down these word problems, please explain!!

Anna Heckler 2C

Postby Anna Heckler 2C » Sun Oct 06, 2019 9:48 pm

I find it helpful to circle all of the relevant parts of the equation and then rewrite it in an abbreviated version. So, for example, if the problem is talking about compounds reacting with each other, I prefer writing all of them in their chemical symbols and writing out the actual equation.

Sam McNeill 1E

Postby Sam McNeill 1E » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:19 pm

I always annotate the problem the first time I read it and then go back again and reread. After that, I always find it helpful to write down any general knowledge I have relating to the problem, what is given or known numerically, and what I need to find. Organizing the information into categories like that always helps me not get lost in the wording!

TimVintsDis4L

Postby TimVintsDis4L » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:29 pm

The professor went over this in class and the way he taught us seems to be working fine for me. The steps are as follows:

Give yourself time, be mindful
What is the question?
What concepts do I know?
What model or equation do I know?
What is known?
What is unknown?
Can I express the unknown with respect to the known

Jorge Ramirez_4H

Postby Jorge Ramirez_4H » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:00 pm

Anyone have tips on time management for word problems? I have always struggled with this especially when the problems are calculation based?

CMaduno_1L

Postby CMaduno_1L » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:26 am

I typically read each sentence and underline as I go. Although it sounds pretty elementary, I've found that it helps me better pick out the relevant information, while also ensuring that I don't miss anything that can be used to help solve the problem. Breaking it down sentence by sentence helps tremendously with understanding as opposed to reading the bulk at once and having to go back and reread. Hope this helps!

Return to “Accuracy, Precision, Mole, Other Definitions”