Chemical Formulas of Compounds

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Bethany Yang 2E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Chemical Formulas of Compounds

Postby Bethany Yang 2E » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:24 pm

Hi! Do you guys think when given a name of a compound, we should automatically know the chemical formula for it? For example, being able to know the formula for fluoxetine (I saw this compound in the textbook). If so, do you have tricks/tips to remembering how to name the compound? Thanks!

Thomas Vu 1A

Re: Chemical Formulas of Compounds

Postby Thomas Vu 1A » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:10 pm

Bethany Yang 2D wrote:Hi! Do you guys think when given a name of a compound, we should automatically know the chemical formula for it? For example, being able to know the formula for fluoxetine (I saw this compound in the textbook). If so, do you have tricks/tips to remembering how to name the compound? Thanks!

I think we're supposed to know some basic nomenclature rules but for complex and uncommon compounds, we'll most likely be given those formulas. For ionic compounds, the cation is named first and the anion is second; quantities of each are determined by charges. For covalent nomenclature, prefixes usually denote the quantities of each atom in the formula. These are just a few rules; hope that helps.

Yuelai Feng 3E
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby Yuelai Feng 3E » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:19 pm

I don't think we need to know all the conventional names for complex molecules like fluoxetine. (But for very common ones, like glucose, it might be helpful to know.) This is just a simple way to refer to the molecule but has little to do with its molecular structure.

The IUPAC name is the one that tells us the molecular formula (fluoxetine's IUPAC name is N-methyl-3-phenyl-3-[4-(trifluoromethyl)phenoxy]-propan-1-amine), and I think it's important to understand the IUPAC naming rules.

Hope this answers your question!

Lorraine Jiang 2C

Postby Lorraine Jiang 2C » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:10 am

I think for the basic organic molecules like Methane, Butene, Methanol, Propanol, Butanoic acid...etc. We should know their chemical formulae. But for other more complex compounds like the one you mentioned, I think the question will provide us the IUPAC name, or the Lewis structure for us to figure out the chemical formula. Hope it helps!

OwenSumter_2F
Been upvoted: 2 times

Postby OwenSumter_2F » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:19 am

I think its mostly just how you work best and to make it simpler to you. If you want to memorize or get in the habit of knowing basic naming conventions for compounds, that will make it a quicker and easier process for you in the future, however you should be fine either way.

Tikva Cohen 1K

Postby Tikva Cohen 1K » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:28 am

So far no one has told us we need to memorize them. Also, in one of Lavelle's lectures he mentioned that most things you need should be given to you in the problem, and the point of this class is to be able to use what is given to problem solve, not just memorize a bunch of things, so I think you're good!

Brian Nguyen 2I

Postby Brian Nguyen 2I » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:37 pm

I think after practicing a lot of problems, you start to pick up on the formulas of certain compounds, but typically as many people have said, you just need to focus on how to solve a problem. As long as you're good with the concepts taught in class and how to apply them, you should be fine.

bgiorgi_3A

Postby bgiorgi_3A » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:53 pm

Based off of the last lecture I think it is important to know that water and carbon dioxide are produced when combustion occurs. Other than that you probably do not need to know all compounds by memory.

Yuehan_Wu_3K

Postby Yuehan_Wu_3K » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:16 am

If the chemical compounds are rare, the formulas would be given in the question. But if it's common, such as NaCl, NaOH, etc, then you need to memroize them. Those are widely used in the chemistry, so it's easy for you to memorize.

Khoa Vu 3l

Postby Khoa Vu 3l » Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:52 pm

Based on pass chemistry experience I don't believe Lavelle would make us memorize complex formulas. However, it would also be helpful to memorize the more important compounds such as strong acids and bases (e.g. HCl or NaOH) as well as certain anions and ions such as nitrate (NO2 1-), sulfate(SO4 2-), phosphate (PO4 3-), etc. Picking these up should be easy as these compounds will pop up often when you do practice problems.

Return to “Accuracy, Precision, Mole, Other Definitions”