Textbook Homework E9

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Lorraine Medina 3C

Textbook Homework E9

Postby Lorraine Medina 3C » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:12 am

For E9 in the textbook, we are asked to write the formula of magnesium sulfate heptahydrate just given the name of the compound. I was wondering whether we will be asked to know/write the formulas for compounds on exams, just given its name? Thanks!

Hayden Lee 1C

Re: Textbook Homework E9

Postby Hayden Lee 1C » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:53 pm

Hi there!

While watching one of the lectures, I heard that we would be provided with compounds on tests and that we would not be required to memorize them. While I have not seen this written on the syllabus or any other materials, I am fairly confident that we will not have to memorize compounds as you described. Hopefully, we will be informed whether or not this is certain as the midterms approach. Hope this somewhat helps!

Postby 805504360 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi! I agree with the last post. Although it would be beneficial to learn the molecular formulas at some point, I don't think we have to worry about them too much yet since he mentioned in the lecture that he will be giving them during the tests.

Natalie Do 3F

Postby Natalie Do 3F » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:40 pm

I had a similar question and these replies have been useful! One thing I have been working on since I believe we'll need to know it later is looking at the number of valence electrons different elements have so I know which subscript to write. I still have to look up most of the formulas though :(

Ayesha Aslam-Mir 2E

Postby Ayesha Aslam-Mir 2E » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:06 pm

I believe that looking at the periodic table will give you a sense of the valence electrons for each element, so knowing this on top of the charges of several polyatomic ions will help in building compounds. This way you can assume the charges of the elements as individual atoms and what they would bond to, or what their ions would create. While I assume we initially will not need to memoerize any compounds or their compositions, it could be helpful to be able to build compounds with this knowledge when dealing with chemical equations.

Kathy_Li_3J

Postby Kathy_Li_3J » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:54 pm

Hi! I believe Dr. Lavelle has said that this class is more focused on the application of content rather than just memorization, so I don't think we necessarily need to memorize compounds or how to name them just yet.

cady_tran_2G

Postby cady_tran_2G » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:59 pm

Hi! Like the previous reply, we're going to be tested on content and I remember Dr. Lavelle mentioning we'd be provided with compounds on a test.

Return to “Accuracy, Precision, Mole, Other Definitions”