Difference between atoms, molecules, and formula units  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Irene Kang 3F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Difference between atoms, molecules, and formula units

Postby Irene Kang 3F » Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:20 am

Is the only difference between atoms, molecules, and formula units that atoms are the units for elements, molecules for molecular compounds, and formula units for ionic compounds? Also, whenever we need to find them we can just use Avogadro's number for all of these right?

Jeffrey J Cheng 2L

Re: Difference between atoms, molecules, and formula units

Postby Jeffrey J Cheng 2L » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:10 am

Yes, I think that is correct. Whenever you want to convert moles of anything to the number of the same thing, you can multiply by Avogadro's number.

Allison Peng 1D

Postby Allison Peng 1D » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:00 am

I believe they all basically refer to the same thing as single units of the atom/molecule/ionic compound, and using Avogadro's number can convert all of them to the number of moles.

Isabelle Kim 3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Difference between atoms, molecules, and formula units  [ENDORSED]

Postby Isabelle Kim 3E » Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:17 am

Yup, you're right about using the Avogadro's constant whenever you convert from # of moles to a # of atoms and vice versa. And you'd always use the Avogadro's constant for everything. I always try to keep track of the units that I want to get rid of as I'm doing these types of conversion.

Mark_Botros_1D

Postby Mark_Botros_1D » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:07 pm

I believe that is also correct. Avagadro's number can be used for all of them as well.

AudreyQian1J

Postby AudreyQian1J » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:34 pm

I believe the replies are correct as well. An atom contains a single nucleus and is the fundamental unit of an element, such as C and Ne. Molecules consist of at least two atoms bonded together by valence forces. Formula units are like empirical formulas for ionic compounds (Ex. NaCl). Avogadro's number is the number of units per mole, and I believe it can be used to switch from moles to atoms, ions, molecules, and formula units, and vice versa.

Return to “Accuracy, Precision, Mole, Other Definitions”