Difference between electrons and light properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

samanthaywu

Difference between electrons and light properties

Postby samanthaywu » Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:24 pm

Since both light and electrons can be considered a wave and a particle, are there any other major difference between the two other than the fact that electrons have mass and a negative charge?

Kaihan_Danesh_2J

Re: Difference between electrons and light properties

Postby Kaihan_Danesh_2J » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:08 pm

I don't think they are meant to be seen that way. A better way to understand it, I believe, is that the behavior between electrons and light are similar because that is all the two models describe for each.

Eliot Kagan 2G

Postby Eliot Kagan 2G » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:33 pm

Although they can be considered to have both particle and waves like motions, I think that you shouldn't see them as very similar. The negativity of the electron and the mass-less light greatly differentiate them from each other and have very different implications in chemical reactions.

Thomas Vu 1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Thomas Vu 1A » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:39 pm

Well, even though electrons technically would have a de Broglie wavelength, they don't exhibit the same wave like properties of light. I think from the lecture or textbook reading the example given was like light diffraction through a crystal and the experiment was applied to an electron which yielded different results. I might be wrong on that though so correct me if I am

CesarLec1

Postby CesarLec1 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:12 am

I believe they shouldn't really be compared in that sense because there are many other differences that can be made, all that we need to know is that they share some characteristics like being a wave and a photon but thats the extent of their similarities while the differences are abundant.

Adam_ElSayed_3B

Postby Adam_ElSayed_3B » Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:35 am

Well for one, electrons are charged. They behave totally differently. A photon is more energy condensed, while an electron is a charge. I'm not good enough at quantum physics to go further.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”