Q. 1.11 Lower energy levels for spectral each spectral series?  [ENDORSED]

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Molly_McMillen_3J

Q. 1.11 Lower energy levels for spectral each spectral series?

Postby Molly_McMillen_3J » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:23 am

The question for 1.11 is " In the spectrum of atomic hydrogen, several lines are generally classified together as belonging to a series... What is common to the lines within a series that makes grouping them together logical?"
I understand the answer to the problem that is in the solutions booklet, ie. I know that the Lyman series has the lower energy level n=1 etc. I just didn't really understand the book's explanation of why each series has each specific energy level. So is there a way to figure out the lowest energy level for lines in each series, or are we just supposed to take the information that Lyman series has n=1, Balmer series n=2, etc. to be a given?

Vivian Wang 3J
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Q. 1.11 Lower energy levels for spectral each spectral series?  [ENDORSED]

Postby Vivian Wang 3J » Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:47 pm

Each series has a specific energy level because those are the energy levels at either end of the jump producing a particular line in the spectrum.

"For example, in the Lyman series, n is always 1. Electrons are falling to the 1-level to produce lines in the Lyman series. For the Balmer series, n is always 2, because electrons are falling to the 2-level."

I suppose then, that the values are given for each series.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”