Clarification on "ground state"

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

JD Malana

Clarification on "ground state"

Postby JD Malana » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:01 pm

In class today we learned about electrons moving from one energy level to another while also using the terms "ground state" and "excited state"
Dr. Lavelle referred to energy level N=1 as the ground state, but, just to clarify, the ground state is just the energy level an electron is normally in correct?-as in ground state does not refer to N=1?
Sorry I know it's probably a dumb question, but it was just a thought I had.

Xinye_Jiang_1A
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Clarification on "ground state"

Postby Xinye_Jiang_1A » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:03 pm

Well I've learnt this in physics class 3 years ago so I'm not sure I'm right on this, but I think some ground states of e- in atoms might be at N=2,3,etc. It depends on which electron in which atom we're studying at.
About "excited", in the case of H atom: "A hydrogen atom with excess energy is said to be 'excited'".

Wu Yuchen A1

Re: Clarification on "ground state"

Postby Wu Yuchen A1 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:16 pm

In today's lecture our professor was talking about one-electron situation that only one electron move around nucleus (ex. Hydrogen atom or carbon ion losing 5 electrons). In the situation like this, the answer to your question is correct and N=1 means equals to ground state. No idea about what will happen if there are more than one electron--sorry

Return to “Properties of Electrons”