Hydrogen Series

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Qining Jin 1F

Hydrogen Series

Postby Qining Jin 1F » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:43 pm

In the textbook it said that the Lyman series is in the UV region and the Balmer series in the visible light. But it didn't mention the Paschen nor Brackett series. Do you think we need to know which region they are in?

Lucian1F
Been upvoted: 1 time

Re: Hydrogen Series

Postby Lucian1F » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:26 pm

I highly doubt that we need to memorize those series since they aren't in the textbook and I believe they haven't been covered in class either.

Kyra LeRoy 1E

Postby Kyra LeRoy 1E » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:26 pm

It may be important to remember that the Lyman is UV & Balmer is visible, because I noticed that in one textbook problem it says "in the UV region" but never says Lyman or n1=1, but the problem solution requires you to recognize that UV means n1=1. However, I can't see the other two being important if they were never covered in the textbook/lecture.

Michelle Nguyen 2L

Postby Michelle Nguyen 2L » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:27 pm

No, it's not necessary to know the specific lower energy levels of those line series; don't worry about it :D

Ava Harvey 2B

Postby Ava Harvey 2B » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:18 pm

Yes, I agree. I don't think we're expected to know the Paschen or Brackett series. However, I would memorize that for the Lyman series, all of the spectral lines go down to the energy level of n=1. For the Balmer series, all of the spectral lines go down to the energy level of n=2. Therefore, when solving problems with the Rydberg equation, you will plug in 1 (for the lower energy n) for the Lyman series and you will plug in 2 for the Balmer series. Also, I would know that the Lyman series is associated with ultraviolet radiation and the Balmer series is associated with visible light. Hope that helps!

Return to “Properties of Electrons”