Energy Levels and Frequencies

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Girija_3E
Been upvoted: 1 time

Energy Levels and Frequencies

Postby Girija_3E » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:46 pm

I know that as an electron jumps from n = 1, n = 2, etc. there is an increase in energy. But if as n increases there is an increase in energy, why is n = 1 the UV region, n = 2 the visible light region, and n = 3 the infrared region? Doesn't the UV region have the highest frequency/energy, and if it does, why is it assigned to n =1?

jennywu
Been upvoted: 2 times

Re: Energy Levels and Frequencies

Postby jennywu » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:55 pm

The Lyman series is a hydrogen spectral series of transitions and results from ultraviolet emission lines of the hydrogen atom as an electron goes from n ≥ 2 to n = 1, the lowest energy level of the electron. As the distances between energy levels get smaller as the energy level increases, electrons that go from say n=6 to n=1 will cover a greater distance than say an electron that goes from n=6 to n=2. The greater the distance the more energy needed and the greater the emission energy. therefore, the greater the difference in the principal quantum numbers, the higher the energy of the electromagnetic emission.

Cameron Smith 1I
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Cameron Smith 1I » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:19 pm

The energy levels (n) of electrons are discrete but is there any way in which we can describe the electron's existence between levels?

Jacy Black 1C

Postby Jacy Black 1C » Mon May 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Hello! I was looking over the topics mentioned on "The Quantum World" outline, and was confused by one of them.

It states what we should be able to "describe the factors affecting the energy of an electron in a many-electron atom." I am unsure what concepts this is referring to regarding electron energy, and the only things that come to mind are energies of ejecting electrons in the photoelectric effect.

Any ideas, or practice problems including this concept, would be much appreciated!

Return to “Properties of Electrons”