1E.7 for the HW

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Emma Randolph 1J

1E.7 for the HW

Postby Emma Randolph 1J » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:35 pm

For number 1E.7 on the homework, it asks to determine whether each of the following electron configurations represent the ground or excited state of an electron and I'm confused as to how you would determine that? please help

Danielle_Gallandt3I

Re: 1E.7 for the HW

Postby Danielle_Gallandt3I » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:40 pm

So you have to first determine what the ground state electron configuration should be for each of these different elements. If the electron configuration does not match that of the configuration in a ground state, it will be in the excited state. For example, the ground state of Carbon is 2s^2 2p^2, so if the electron configuration for carbon given in that problem has electrons in a higher state than 2p, it is in an excited state.

Matthew Choi 2H

Re: 1E.7 for the HW

Postby Matthew Choi 2H » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:35 pm

You can tell if an atom is in an excited by looking at the end of the electron configuration. If you find an electron that is in a higher energy level than where it typically should be, it is most likely in an excited state. Take neon (Ne) for example:

The normal electron configuration would look like: 1s^2,2s^2,2p^6
An excited electron configuration would look like: 1s^2,2s^1,2p^6,3s^1

The second electron configuration for Ne has one electron in the 3s sublevel---a higher energy sublevel than 2p, the normal sublevel for valence electrons of Ne. Therefore, the second electron configuration represents an atom in an excited state.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”