Expectations

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

DMuth_1J

Expectations

Postby DMuth_1J » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:43 am

What are we expected to memorize in regard to atoms / electrons? Do we have to know the equations or the mass of an electron?

Justin Sarquiz 2F

Re: Expectations

Postby Justin Sarquiz 2F » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:45 pm

We are usually given a lot of the constants like the mass of an electron and Avogadro's constant. Many equations will be given, but not all. I am not sure exactly what equation you were asking about, so I cannot really confirm if that equation will be given. It does not hurt to memorize the equation though if you are in doubt. I hope this helps.

Robert Cross 1A

Postby Robert Cross 1A » Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:26 pm

With regards to our fundamental and quantum understanding of electrons, I think it's important to point out a flaw that seems to have permeated throughout our education system. For me at least, I grew up being told that electrons were spherical in nature and orbited around the nucleus on set courses. It wasn't until my second year of IB HL Physics that I learned that the simplistic explanation we got in elementary and middle school isn't actually how electrons operate in the quantum realm. Major key: At any given time, we are only able to know either the electron's position or the electron's velocity, but never both. This means we can never know the velocity and position of an electron simultaneously, and therefore can never predict its path in real time. This is why the area in which an electron orbits the nucleus is referred to as a cloud. This has to do with electrons having properties of both particles AND waves. There are certain places along an electron's orbital where it is more likely to be found (hence electron orbitals of different 'shapes'), but as a whole it is very ambiguous and in my opinion more complicated than looking at protons and neutrons. Electrons are tricky! I also found this link, which should help add more details that I've omitted

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080227073812AADIBaD&guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20vc2VhcmNoP3E9a25vd2luZytlbGVjdHJvbnMrcG9zaXRpb24rYnV0K25vdCtpdCUyN3MrdmVsb2NpdHkmZm9ybT1FREdUQ1QmcXM9UEYmY3ZpZD0wM2FhYzZhN2I1Y2M0OTA4OTlkNDhkYTJhMGM3ODYwNSZyZWZpZz0zYTBhZmY1ZWM4YTY0NjA2ZGYzMDU2NjQxOTc4ZTUwYiZjYz1VUyZzZXRsYW5nPWVuLVVTJmVsdj1BWTMlMjF1QVk3dGJOTlpHWjJ5aUdOamZNc3VGYk14bXh1MnJoQlZqVjNBRVNVdXhjUXglMjElMjFuZU85U05tVW01VnpLOFgqREg2Y1BFamxRS1pXRXdmM1Q0VUsyMmVzRG5KdUpXRElOZXVzN2Q0VGQmUEM9U01UUw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAMJcWAwP43i4GAIKWbvi1bKZZDtKKCkn-mx1wwJOFrwJGJVwctQg8Me3ZGt1SHaii2w3uWjojCe7XwZoRZgF-XB82rU4dNeqo6ssPVBMNSvxklL4eRoRnWCDRi1qiQ1qFlZ8Mi4K1_bsqV3_eZnBorDa2ounNMXKlYeLP8P_n-cu

Milisuryani Santoso 1L

Postby Milisuryani Santoso 1L » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:22 am

Is there any example/pdf of what will be given during the test or should I just try and memorize everything we learned up until now?

Daniel Yu 1E

Postby Daniel Yu 1E » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:39 pm

For test 1, I've been told that as long as you do the homework, go to class, and attend discussion, you will succeed :)
But as far as I know, no homework questions will be there verbatim on test 1. You won't be tested on the stuff we learned in lecture today about Quantum Mechanics and light. Don't cite me though. Overall, if you review your chemistry principles, you should be fine for the chemistry principles test.

Return to “Properties of Electrons”