Wave Properties of Electrons

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Shannon Asay 1C

Wave Properties of Electrons

Postby Shannon Asay 1C » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:09 pm

I had some trouble understanding in today's lecture how electron's exhibit wave-like properties and I was wondering if someone could help explain that a bit better?

Andrew F 2L

Re: Wave Properties of Electrons

Postby Andrew F 2L » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Hey!
So Electrons have something called a Wave-Particle duality where they exhibit characteristics of both. There's an experiment where if electrons pass through a double slit and hit a screen behind the slits, they create a pattern of bright and dark bands which shows that they act like waves and have a wavelength like any other wave. Also, de Broglie showed that the electrons behaved like waves with certain frequencies that matched energy levels where electrons were found. I also found the internet which might help: "When UV light hits a metal surface, it causes an emission of electrons. Albert Einstein explained this "photoelectric" effect by proposing that light – thought to only be a wave – is also a stream of particles"

Hope this helped !

Alison Trinh 1E

Postby Alison Trinh 1E » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Also, it was mentioned during lecture that electrons must have wavelike properties because they give rise to a diffraction pattern that result from interacting waves.

BritneyP- 2c

Postby BritneyP- 2c » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:47 pm

The way I see it, small subatomic particles have a wave like property to them, which helps them move and repel around. As the object gets larger, they move less and have less of a wavelength property.

Abhi Vempati 2H

Postby Abhi Vempati 2H » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:47 pm

As many people here are stating, electrons were determined to have wave-like properties due to the diffraction patterns created during the double slit and screen experiment. It was known that diffraction patterns were a key characteristic of waves, so when the experiment resulted in diffraction patterns, scientists logically concluded that an electron possessed wave-like properties. Simply put, waves --> diffraction patterns, electron experiment --> diffraction patterns, so electrons = waves.

That was the main focus of the lecture on Friday, as we didn't go into full detail about wave functions and orbitals. Hope that helps!

Return to “Properties of Electrons”