Wave properties

Moderators: Chem_Mod, Chem_Admin

Celine 1F

Wave properties

Postby Celine 1F » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:12 pm

What is the determining factor that makes something have wavelike properties in the work problems we did today?

Tracey Tran 3I

Re: Wave properties

Postby Tracey Tran 3I » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:21 am

All matter has wavelike properties, but only moving objects with extremely small mass such as electrons can be thoroughly observed/detected.

Kayla Maldonado 1C
Been upvoted: 1 time

Postby Kayla Maldonado 1C » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:54 am

After determining the wavelength (m) using De Broglie's wave equation use the answer to determine if it's below any # x 10^-15 in scientific notation, if it is then it's considered to have wavelike properties and if it's above that it does not have wavelike properties. The smaller the wavelength, the harder it is to observe the wave nature. 10^-15 is used as a determining factor because on the electromagnetic spectrum, gamma rays are the smallest wavelength and any other wavelength below that will not be considered to have wavelike properties.

saigorijavolu2k

Postby saigorijavolu2k » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:46 am

De Broglie's equation is basically used to describe the wave-like properties of matter. It suggests that particles with extremely small masses like electrons exhibit properties of waves that can be detected.

Junwei Sun 4I

Postby Junwei Sun 4I » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:38 pm

All matter has wave-like properties according to De Broglie's equation. Just like Dr. Lavelle said in class this equation defines that any moving object with momentum p has wavelike properties with a specific wavelength. However this wavelength can only be detected in moving objects with extremely small mass as as an electron, which is why in the example we worked in class a moving car does not have detectable wavelike properties.

emma brinton_3B

Postby emma brinton_3B » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:04 pm

the size of the particle matters when trying to observe or detect the wavelike properties. all matter has wavelike properties but some things like baseballs and cars are too big in order to detect the wavelike properties. the outcome of the De Broglie equation must be greater than x10^-15 to be detectable

Return to “Properties of Electrons”